Costs & Charges
We will provide you with a free no-obligation quote, either in person, over the phone or by email. During the discussion, we will advise you of our costs and any additional services you require.
A copy of the quote can be emailed or posted to you if required.
After making the arrangements for the funeral with you at Thomas Furber & Co. Ltd., we will advise you of all the costs incurred at the time. You will receive a full written estimate, which must be signed by the person responsible for payment of the account. We will advise you of any additional costs incurred for changes made by yourself or other third parties. The final account will show these extra costs.
The estimate is in two parts; our charges and the disbursements paid on your behalf. The charges include our professional services in making the arrangements, necessary staff, hearse & one limousine to carry six mourners, and transportation of the deceased to our Private Chapel of Rest during normal working hours.
We pay on your behalf the disbursements to third parties. These include the minister, celebrant or priest fees, cemetery or crematorium fees, doctors fees for the cremation forms, church and organist fees, and other third parties.
We require payment of the disbursements before the funeral date.
No Mourners, No Fuss… Just Direct!
Only £1395.00 for our Just Direct Cremation service.
Why Choose Direct Cremation?
- Some families find a funeral service at the crematorium very daunting and upsetting
- More and more families are preferring a private cremation with a memorial service afterwards or at a later date
- With modern day life and work, families are now scattered across the country and also other parts of the world, which can create a logistical nightmare in getting everyone together at the same time
- Choosing this option can help keep costs to a minimum
- The person who passed away had no wish for a funeral ceremony
This is not a new type of service as one of the earliest Direct Cremations was for John Lennon after he was killed in 1980. Yoko Ono had a Direct Cremation for him, and she said “There is no funeral for John… John loved and prayed for the human race. Please do the same for him”, which is what his family, friends and the fans all around the world did.
What Is Included?
- Transport from the place of death to our Chapel of Rest (within 15 miles radius of our Head Office)
- Overtime fees may apply if out of office hours
- Cremation Fees
- Doctors’ Fees (if applicable)
- A simple oak veneered coffin
- There is no viewing available; this can be provided for an additional cost of £100.00
- Hearse to our local crematorium on a date and time we choose, with no minister or priest, no funeral service and no mourners
- Cremated remains are usually available within 24 hours (weekends not included) for the family to collect from us, or you can have them scattered in the Gardens Of Remembrance at the Crematorium.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to post cremated remains, as Royal Mail and couriers will not take any responsibility, but from £150.00, we can deliver direct to your door. Please ask us for a quote.
- No Mourners, No Fuss… Just Direct!
What About A Ceremony?
Our Just Direct Cremation has no ceremony, but before or afterwards, we can assist in guiding your family to celebrate their life in a more meaningful and memorable way for you to remember them, with their cremated remains present or not.
Most Importantly, Ask Yourself Is Direct Cremation For Me?
Please remember and understand that Direct Cremation means that the deceased is taken directly to the crematorium and cremated (disposed) with no service or mourners present, if someone attends to say goodbye, then it becomes a funeral.
This type of service, Direct Cremation, is generally thought of as quite unconventional and may be very upsetting for your family and friends. Ask yourself;
- Is this something I really want other than a traditional funeral?
- What are my own religious or non-religious beliefs about funerals?
- Do I believe that our spirit passes on and our body is just a mortal shell left behind?
- Would my family prefer to have a memorial service without attending the cremation?
Discuss this carefully with your family, friends or with us, to decide if this is the choice you wish to make.
Speak to one of our team at Thos. Furber & Co. Ltd. by calling us on 0121 427 2233 if you have any questions or require further information about our Just Direct Cremation.
If you are making a claim for a Funeral Payment from the Social Fund to help pay towards the funeral costs, you must be receiving at least one of the following benefits:
Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Working Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element.
Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element. From April 2014 to April 2015 this means a Child Tax Credit rate of £548 a year or more. These figures are for a whole year and will be less for part-years
There are also other criteria that must be met for you to make a valid claim, including;
Meeting the rules on your relationship with the deceased.
For more information on the qualifying benefits or entitlements please go to the government website www.gov.uk/funeral-payments.
We can supply you with the necessary forms and help you to complete them to make your claim. Claims must be made within three months of death. You can also download the form yourself from the government website here; Form SF200 Funeral Payment from the Social Fund.
From the 7th April 1997, if you qualify, a maximum allowable grant of £700 by the Social Fund, to cover all Funeral Directors expenses, including a fee for the clergy will be paid. The cost of basic disbursements, including cremation fees and associated medical fees, and basic burial fees will still be met by the Social Fund. Any extra charges will have to be met by you.
We will be able to advise you of the approximate amount payable by you and the Social Fund. The Social Fund will pay directly into our bank account any money you will qualify for.
Please note, if you do not qualify for help from the Social Fund, you will have to meet the responsibility for the full payment of the funeral account.
The funeral account is sent to you two days after the funeral. If you are paying, we allow 4-weeks for settlement. If the account is passed onto a solicitor, 15% will be added, which sum will automatically be deducted if paid within 3-months of the date shown on the final account.
We can accept payment by bank transfer, cash, cheque and debit/credit cards.
We welcome; Mastercard, Maestro, Visa, Visa Electron, Solo & JCB.